The Tamakwa Timeline

Scroll Down

 

1936

Lou and Omer choose the site on South Tea lake surveyed and rejected by Taylor Statten for their girl's camp. Original building/ clearing crew included Omer's brothers, Jim and Wam Stringer, his uncle, Alex Culhane, and Kate and Harry (the Horses).

1937

First year of camp. Construction of the Dining Hall (Beaver Lodge), Log cabin, and Office.

1942

Construction of Main Camp camper cabins. The 1942 movie shows the Musclow lease (now our boat landing and "Lou's Cabin") as the site of the proposed girl's camp.

1947

Construction of Rec Hall, Boy's camper cabins, biffies, and Power House.

1948

Waterfront Cabin built

1949

Construction of The Slope, Medicine Lodge, and Girl's cabins. First year of Girl's camp, or is it Girls' Camp?

1954

Construction of Boat House and Tuck Shop.

1955

On the Last day of camp, the boat 'Jennifer Jo' explodes in the boathouse with Jackie Boldt on board. Jackie survives, but the boat and boathouse are lost to fire. Old Tamakwans still refer to the existing boathouse as the 'New' Boathouse.

1956

David Stringer enters Forester 1 This is just a test entry.

1957

Waterskiing comes to camp with the ski boat "Wee Esta", pictured on the 1957 plaque. Also, Elaine Fanning (then Bowman) becomes the full-time secretary in Detroit and starts a twenty-year span at camp.

1962

Jerry Cohn, Chris Thompson and John Fanning lead the first Tamakwa 13 day canoe trip which paddles via Kiosk to the Ottawa River then to Pembroke, returning to the park via the train to Brent.

1963

Kal Bandalene starts as assistant director

1968

During the winter of '67-'68, the dead cedar falls and becomes the Lucky Log.

1969

Marilyn Mendelson comes to camp

1972

Esta passes

1973

Libby Sadick at age 12 begins her life-long journey at Tamakwa.

1974

Lou passes

1977

A terrible spring-time fire demolishes the old boathouse and the black pointer. Ironically, the black pointer's name officially was 'Jennifer Jo II' (See 1955). Kal's last summer as Camp Director.

1978

Mike Kraft passes

1982

Club Med cabin debut.

1983

Major renovation of the Dining Hall, and the first year of the Bayview cabin.

1985

Bert and Ernie replace the 4th and 7th cabins on Girl's Hill. Construction of Half-Court Tennis courts. Art room remodeled and Art Decko is born.

1988

Omer passes

1992

Filming of 'Indian Summer' and the final year of waterskiing.

1994

Debut of "Plat-Forum", basketball court and hockey rink. Trail Biking activity's first year.

1997

Alaina Farber's first year at camp. And her best one. Test Entry.

1998

Construction of the "Beechers". A fire wipes out three staff cabins near the tennis court, which are re-constructed just in time for the summer.

1999

First year of Sunbeam cabin. Woodshop activity debuts.

2000

The ballfield gets leveled, and home plate is moved to the north side. New dugouts. Marge the Barge is new. First year of Woodshop activity.

2001

Eustache (formally the 8th. cabin on Girl's hill) is re-born with a major renovation. Probable year of the new biffy on boy's hill.

2002

Rec Hall structural renovation.

2003

Opeongo debuts on the site of the 5th. cabin on Girl's hill.

2004

The 2nd. cabin on Girl's hill replaced with Namakootchie

2005

On the original site of Forester 1 (aka "Cheers"), the new medical facility sprouts. It is huge, so Stringer dubs it "The Monstrospital"

2006

Loon Lodge Debuts on the site of the original first building. Also a reno of the kitchen's original walk-in Fridge and freezers.